Skip to main content

Learning Illustration with YouTube: My Journey in Adobe Illustration : 1

So I have been making some logos for a while now. But it's incomplete without learning to make it the proper way. And there comes the Vector Art. Installed Adobe Illustration. Had to go for the cc6 version as my pc runs on win 8.1 and the newer versions require the pc to be on windows 10. (God I hate win 10). 
So later I came to the realisation that the cc6 and the older versions are incapable of turning the corners of an object to rounded ones. One must copy the shape, transform it to a rounded cornered one from the drop-down window, use the tool "Slice" and replace the target. If it's going over the head for some people, bear with me, please. 
I had to install the newer version cc 17. I think that is the latest update as far as it doesn't ask you to have your windows upgraded to 10 but it comes with a new feature. The 'rounding corner option' introduced from this version turned to be a saviour and let you bypass all the 'to-dos' tasks mentioned earlier. So, if you run win 8.1, I will highly recommend you the CC 17 version. 

My bro has a Huion graphics tablet, and I tried some clumsy drawing with it. Surfed on the internet, found various good tutorials. I understood that this Illustration can create astounding figures without hand drawing and even the Pen Tool. I am not a proud user of the Pen Tool. 
So my plan follows, mug up the shortcut keys, learn all the tools and their basics, learn to create various shapes using the Shape Builder intensively, learn the Pen tool a bit, then adapt the knowledge to hand drawings and start using Graphic tablet. 

It's been two days. I have had come across a video from Envato Tuts+, The video, tutored by Mr Dan, covers not just the basics, but one can practice along with and have homework after each chapter. This is not a sponsored blog FYI. I will really recommend the video to anyone who eagers to start their journey of illustration. 

Day 1

The first day went on learning to draw a cute penguin (a supposedly Sherrif penguin) standing by the pond. This was super fun and so interesting. 



The homework for the day was to imagine any aquatic creature that could be formed by basic tools and to draw as we had been taught. Guess what I had come up with? At least guess the aquatic creature I picked for my first drawing in illustrator?



Yes, a starfish. Heh! A starfish with Umbrella by the beach. It was almost 2am and I had to hit the sack.


Day 2

Kept thinking about the class the whole time while I was working on some other projects. Yearn for starting the lesson was too high. That good of the video (click this text for the link) is. 
Today, we had to revisit our same old Penguin and add shades and lights onto it. Introduction to Shape Builder. This tool is too good, it would become anyone's favourite tool. Well, remember the penguin we created the earlier day?
Today it had gone through a transformation. 

     
                           TADAAA!!
Then the day was summarised with learning the creation of an Alphabet with basic Lines and Shape Builder tool. Mr Dan taught us to make the alphabet "M". And here how it looked. 



The homework for today was to create an alphabet that could be created by the basic lines. And I created an "A". Even tho the alphabet "D" couldn't be created with straight lines and required curvatures, which Mr Dan would be teaching the next day. But since my name starts with "D", I had to still give it a try.


As expected, "D" turned out to be a disappointment. However, this is all for the day. I will continue the lesson every day but writing them down daily would be a hard task. I will try to catch up some other day tho. 

Comments