Skip to main content

Learning Illustration: 5 : Envelope Distort

I was supposed to write this on 14th June. These past two days I didn't get time to do anything nor to write this.
I found a Logo contest from IGG very late and the deadline was on the 16th. I made 4 logos and 3 slogans in different formats in the two days. Was such hectic. I'll write about that in the next blog.
For now, I shall write what I learned in the last class of Envato+ on the 12th and 13th of June.
It was all about Envelope Distort which can be found on the left side of the Illustrator in the toolboxes. First on texts and then on objects.
These tools are so unique and interesting. The first was being Liquify. I mean warp which can be used to give the effects of liquify.
                            You drag the text downward in a manner how a liquid would behave. 

Cool Ehh? The next tool was Twirl. Man, this is a live drilling machine of Illustrator. As you hold the effect, it keeps spinning and attracts the objects around it. My bad, not a drilling machine but rather like a tornado. It pulls in any objects it comes across in its way. You can also change the RPM and the size of the loop etc. You can make so many cool effects with it. It's all about how creative can you be. This is what I did with it.

While that was the most fun tool, the next pair of tools would compete to come for the next. It's Crystallize and Scallop. They are both the same, adding spikes to the outline but works the opposite way. While one adds to the outer side, the other does it towards the core. An image of them in action would describe it better.
             

I am sorry if the effect was not vivid and you had to zoom or look closely. The next pair of tools are pucker and bloat. I love the name. Pucker and Bloat. Sounds like a good couple. Their task is to retouch an object. One shrinks and the other expands in a circular area of the object.

With that, we reach the last tool for the day, the Wrinkle tool. As the name suggests, it adds wrinkles to the object. Noone wants wrinkle but they look good on texts/objects in certain styles. Think think.
Well, in my eyes, they almost work the same as the warp tool Liquify which I mentioned at the start of the blog. 


Yeah, I was soft with putting the effect and hence not much visible. Either way, to wrap all up, I tried putting all the effects onto the next text. 

Quite good, right?
The envelope distort can be accessed even from the effect window on top. This will open a popup window with a variety of options from the arc, wave, flag to fisheye etc. An object can be given thousand of transformations using this tool. We were asked to make a cool little thing with a box of colours and text. And I did this.



That's all for the class. As I was making this flag thing, I came across an idea for my next illustration.
I started making the illustration on the same day of the 13th. Now, what could the illustration be that formed from making this flag here. Stay tuned for the next blog. I'll see you there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Illustration with YouTube: My Journey in Adobe Illustration : 1

So I have been making some logos for a while now. But it's incomplete without learning to make it the proper way. And there comes the Vector Art. Installed Adobe Illustration. Had to go for the cc6 version as my pc runs on win 8.1 and the newer versions require the pc to be on windows 10. (God I hate win 10).  So later I came to the realisation that the cc6 and the older versions are incapable of turning the corners of an object to rounded ones. One must copy the shape, transform it to a rounded cornered one from the drop-down window, use the tool "Slice" and replace the target. If it's going over the head for some people, bear with me, please.  I had to install the newer version cc 17. I think that is the latest update as far as it doesn't ask you to have your windows upgraded to 10 but it comes with a new feature. The 'rounding corner option' introduced from this version turned to be a saviour and let you bypass all the 'to-dos' tasks mentioned e

Making Cartoon Aeroplanes for a game in Playstore

 My brother is seriously a workaholic. Sometimes I worry about him for his disregard for foods while working. Whenever he takes a leave or have a holiday, he sits in front of the laptop, starts working on codings for rest of the day. He makes apps for android devices. I must say, I found the apps quite good for someone who's only experienced for a year. I am proud of him. I love the passion for learning. It helps us grow. Anyway, so my bro has made this game. The game is in the alpha stage. Although it's already in the Playstore  (click to check) , he is changing a whole lot of the game. That includes the core design of the models. It's a fun casual a-good-time-killing game that involves a mini plane that flies on an endless loop. The player has to dodge the obstructions as they fly and collect points.  My bro Sour knows that I am learning to draw and create vector models. He gave me a project on making the model of the aeroplane, but with 5 diff colours. Red, Blue, Green,

Learning Illustration: 4 : Colour Swatches and Gradient ( Adobe Illustrator )

Writing this down before I hit the bed. Just watched a movie with Winnie, "The Croods". I had already seen the movie years ago. But I wanted her to watch it. Anyway, I am getting off-topic,  This would be a short and fast catch up on the illustration class as it's getting late. So much to do, so much to learn, so little time. In the class by  EnvatoTuts+ , Mr Dan taught us things about colour swatches. It was all about colours. The usage of colour swatches for faster colouring. Adding customised colours to the swatches. And the most interesting one was the colour theme which uses the adobe cloud and shows a variety of colour combinations for a vibrant and eye-catching result. The community's most picked and voted colour combinations and adding them to the colour swatches can bring life to a dull illustration.  And for people who don't like adobe clouds, we were given websites where we can pick other good colour combinations as well. And we were asked to fill colou